Yvonne Buchheim is a drawing and lens-based artist and is a senior lecturer in Drawing and Applied Arts .
After completing her Masters in Fine Art in 2000 at the University of Ulster, Belfast she was awarded the Evelyn’s Williams Drawing Fellowship. This one-year award at the University of Derby resulted in a solo exhibition and catalogue publication. In 2003 Yvonne was awarded a 3-month residency by the ACC Gallery in Weimar to develop a project guided by the cultural theories of German philosopher J. G. Herder. Die Singende Stadt (The Singing Town) has become an initial point of departure for Yvonne and has resulted in a comprehensive collection of song recordings. To date Yvonne has created an international ‘Song Archive Project’ that reflects social identity across Europe and most recently she has been awarded a solo show at the Cheekwood Museum of the Arts in Nashville, USA and a residency to work in Iran (2005).
Yvonne Buchheim is a member of the artist group ‘Format’ and the research groups ‘LAND2’ and ‘ACiD’ (Advanced Centre in Drawing) at UWE. ACiD intendsto expand its international links with regard to exhibitions, academic exchange and conferences. Yvonne has assisted John France in the co-ordination of the annual practice-based colloquium, Drawing Quarters at UWE over the last 2 years.
In her art practice Yvonne is concerned with the theme of cultural identity and the understanding of ‘Heimat’ (homeland) that forms a basis for her creative inquiry into the themes of origin, roots and identity. The aim of her on-going ‘Song Archive Project’ is to develop a body of works that examine contemporary song culture in a visual art context.
Her work often takes the form of collaborative practice and site-specific installations. Through this approach Yvonne has been awarded many international residencies and exhibitions. For instance in 2007 she was awarded the Good Ideas Award by Public Art Wales and was commissioned to undertake the North+South exhibition at the Southampton City Art Gallery.
Yvonne’s professional activity has included many exhibitions with the ‘Song Archive’ widely exhibited after its initial show at the ACC Gallerie in Weimar, 2003. In 2004 the work was included in a conference titled ‘Stadtsound’ (City Sound) and featured on local TV and radio stations. Other solo shows were in Greece, Ireland and the UK. In addition she has participated in an international range of group shows in Australia, USA, India, Yugoslavia and Romania with funding by the Arts Council of Ireland, the British Council and the Arts Council of England.
A selection of Yvonne’s drawing artwork can be seen at : www.acid.uwe.ac.uk/buchheim
- Postgraduate, Teaching in Higher Education, UWE, Bristol, U.K.
- Masters of Fine Art, University of Ulster, Belfast, Ireland.
- BA in Visual Communication Design, Fachhochschule München, Germany.
- Good Ideas Award, Public Art Wales, Cardiff, UK.
- Individual Research Funding, UWE, Bristol, UK.
- Arts Council Award, Travel and Mobility, Ireland.
- Arts Council Award, Artist in the Community, Dublin, Ireland.
- Member of the ‘Artist Panel’ at the Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, Ireland.
- Arts Council Award, Visual Arts Bursary, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘Hochschulstipendium’, Bayerisches Kultürsministerium, München, Germany.
- Cheekwood Museum of the Art, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
- ‘Borrowed Air’, Butler Gallery, The Castle, Kilkenny, Ireland.
- ‘Song for Newtown’, Oriel Davis Gallery, Newtown, Wales, UK.
- ‘Song Archive’, Syndicat Potentiel, Strasbourg, France.
- ‘Quantum in me est’ , Vakalo Art Gallery, Athens, Greece.
- ‘Quadruped’, Triskel Arts Centre, Cork, Ireland.
- ‘Split Second’, Q-Arts Gallery, Derby, U.K.
- ‘Topographien’, Haus der Kultur, Waldkraiburg, Germany.
Selected Group Shows
- ‘Holy Hiatus’, public art project, curated by Ruth Jones, Cardigan, Wales, UK.
- ‘North+South’ commissions, Southampton city art gallery, UK.
- ‘Art Video Exchange’, Landmark at Bergen Kunsthall, Sweden.
- ‘EV+A’, Limerick City Gallery of Art, Limerick, Ireland.
- ‘Limited Editions’, R O O M T O O gallery, London, UK.
- ‘Temporary Identities’, Novosibirsk State Art Museum, Russia.
- ‘700IS’, Culture Centre of Fljótsdalshérað, Egilsstaðir, Iceland.
- ‘Indiana International Video Art Festival’, Indiana University Art Gallery, USA.
- ‘Soundworks’, St Vincents Church, Cork, Ireland.
- ‘Generation Games’, Plan 9 Gallery, Bristol, UK.
- ‘herkunft niemandsland’, ACC Galerie, Weimar, Germany.
- ‘Muvesztelep’, Szekelyudvarhelyi, Transsylvania, Romania.
- ‘Markers’ Queens Gallery, The British Council, New Delhi, India.
- ‘Portrait’ Gallery of University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA.
- ‘Us’, 5th Floor Gallery, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘the national gallery’, The Return Gallery, Goethe Institut, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘20/20’, Temple Bar Gallery and Studio, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘The Memorial’, Umetnicka galerija, Cacak, Yugoslavia.
- ‘Conditional Motion’, Arthouse, Multimedia Centre, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘Mark’, Project Gallery, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘International Drawing Biennial’, MASS Gallery, Melbourne, Australia.
- ‘Chronicle’, Provinciaal Museum Begijnhofkerk Begijnhof, Sint Truden, Belgium.
- ‘14 days – 14 books’, Artist Book Fair, Halifax, U.K.
- ‘An Exhibition of Master Pieces’, The Engine Room Gallery, Belfast, N.Ireland.
- ‘Blood and Fire’, The Catalyst Arts Centre, Belfast, N.Ireland.
- ‘Natur und Ausdruck’, Fachhochschule München, Munich, Germany.
- ‘Il canto sospeso’, Gallerie FHM, München, Germany, exhibition toured to Berlin, Bologna and Thessaloniki.
Residencies / Projects
- Residency, 8 weeks, Oriel Davis Gallery, Newtown, Wales, UK.
- Residency, 4 weeks, Cheekwood Museum of Art, Nashville, USA.
- Research project, 2 weeks, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France.
- Residency, 2 weeks, Paradise Arts Centre, Poloor, Iran.
- Residency ‘Folkatronica’, 1 months, SSI, Dublin, Ireland.
- Residency, 2 weeks, Art Trail, Cork, Ireland.
- Symposium, ‘Drawing Quarters’, UWE, Bristol, U.K.
- Residency, 1 months, Csiksereda, Transsylvania, Romania.
- European studio programme, 3 months, ACC Galerie, Weimar, Germany.
- Project studio, 2 months, Temple Bar Gallery and Studios, Dublin, Ireland.
- Residency, 6 months, Arthouse, Multimedia Centre, Dublin, Ireland.
- 00 – 01
- Residency, 12 months, Evelyn Williams Drawing Fellowship, University of Derby, U.K.
- Residency, 2 weeks, Curfew Tower in Cushendall, Co. Antrim, N.Ireland.
- Research expedition, 2 months, Alaska, USA.
- Research expedition, 2 months, Alaska, USA.
- Part time Lecturer, University of West England, Bristol, UK.
- Full time Lecturer, University of West England, Bristol, UK
- Part time Lecturer, NCAD, Faculty of Education, Dublin, Ireland.
- Visiting Lectureships at University of Ulster, Belfast: Leeds Metropolitan University: South-East Derbyshire College,Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art & Design, Dublin.
- Part time Lecturer, Fine Art Department, University of Derby, U.K.
- Graphic designer (freelance) for S&P architecture, München, Germany.
- ‘Song for Newtown’, exhibition catalogue, 71 pages, Newtown, UK.
- ‘North and South’, exhibition catalogue, p.40 -44, p.90, UK.
- ‘ev+a’, exhibition catalogue, p.24, 60-61, Limerick, Ireland.
- ‘Politics of Songs’, Visual Artists’ News Sheet, p.20, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘Wie bringt man eine Stadt zum Singen?’, p.252 -273, music/politics publication, Bochum, Germany.
- ‘herkunft niemandsland’ , exhibition catalogue, Weimar, Germany.
- ‘22’, exhibition catalogue, p. 86, Cacak, Yugoslavia.
- ‘Split second’, exhibition catalogue, Derby, U.K.
- ‘Stay here & make art’, In You We Trust publication, p. 39 – 45, London, U.K.
- ‘Von einem Punkt zu Licht und Raum’, exhibition catalogue, p. 19 – 24, Waldkraiburg, Germany.
- ‘Il canto sospeso’, exhibition catalogue, Gallerie FHM, München, Germany.