Ingrid Pollard is well known for exploring heritage, the romanticism of English landscape, and England’s hidden histories associated with Africa and the Caribbean. Her other passion is for cinema and the scale it offers, this influence leaks into her photographic work. She admits to having ‘taken a clandestine pleasure in cinema viewing and filmmaking’.
Ingrid Pollard is also fascinated by the process of image-making, and is interested in ‘exploring ideas of chemistry, physics, and the basic constituents of photography’. Black and white photography uses silver, chlorine, bromide, wood pulp, water, salts, hypo, the ingredients originate from the ground. Landscape Trauma expresses how, through alchemy, the physical world around us is captured.
In the past Ingrid has also documented the work of actors, dancers, writers and theatre companies.
- Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education. London South Bank Uni.
- MA. Photographic Studies. University of Derby
- BA hons Film & Video. London College of Printing (University of the Arts).
- Residenceesidence 3 Parfitt Gallery Croydon College,
- Near & Far. National Glass Centre, Northumberland, UK*
- Black Diaspora. Parliament Buildings, Bridgetown, Barbados*
- A Field of Sheep. Michael Heseltine Gallery, OXO Visual Arts College, UK
- Spectre of the Black Boy. Kingsway Gallery, Goldsmiths, London.
- Working Images. London South Bank University, London UK
- Landscape Trauma 2. Bath University, UK & Wall Space Gallery, London.
- Paper boats and Canvas. Project Row Houses, Texas USA
- Points of View. Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Sussex UK
- Near and Far Kendal Museum, Cumbria UK & touring*
- Selective Yield. Wysing Arts. Cambridge, UK
- Vous tes ici Foundation Clemént, Martinique, West Indies
- LandFall Museum of London, Docklands (curator-artist)*
- Belonging in Britain Parliament Building, Bridgetown Barbados, WI*
- TradeWinds 2008 Museum of London Dockland. (curator)
- Crossing Waters. Cartwright Hall, Bradford, UK*
- Garden of Eden – The Garden in Art. Kunsthalle in Emden, Germany*
- Green Black & White Photography. Winchester Art Gallery, UK
- TradeWinds – LandFall 2007. Project Row Houses, Texas USA (curator)
- How to improve the world. Hayward Gallery, London*
- Working Images. London South Bank University,
- Liminal Britain. Univ. of North Texas Art Gallery, Texas USA
- Down the Garden Path. Queens Museum of Art, New York USA*
- Tony Ray Jones Nederlands Fotomuseum, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- The Politics of Place. BildMuseet, Umea, Sweden & touring to Finland*
- Travelogue. Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester, UK*
- Where are We ? Victoria & Albert Museum. London, UK
- Traumatic Landscapes. The Gallery, Southwark Park London & Leeds
Ingrid Pollard Postcards From Home. Chris Boot publishers. 2004.
Ingrid Pollard Monograph. Autograph-abp 1995
Ingrid Pollard Central South North. Lee Valley Park. 1994 (limited edition artists book)
- Arts Council of England. Grants for the Arts
- Leverhulme Individual Artists Award
- Arts Council of England. Grants for the Arts
- AHRC Fellowship in Creative & Performing Arts.
- Nominated Royal Photographic Society. John Kobal First Book Award.
- London South Bank University, UK
- Fotofest, Houston, Texas, USA.
- Croydon Council, Croydon, UK
- Whitworth Museum & Art Gallery, Manchester, UK
- Autograph: ABP
- Year of the Artist. Wysing Arts, Cambridge.
- National Trust
- Fathers Hands: Screening and artists talk. Leeds University Fine Art, October
- Screening Hyde Park Picture House Leeds, October
- Screening & Artist talk. Impressions Gallery. Bradford, October
- Screening and talk, V&A London, October
- Exhibition talk. Urban Edges. Goldsmiths. London October
- ‘Black Diaspora’ exhibition and conference. Bridgetown, Barbados February
- The Culture Show C4. March
- Good Morning Barbados. Bridgetown, Barbados. February
- The Culture Show. Channel 4. June
- Pacifica Radio Houston, Texas, USA. March
- Scales. Tate Modern. London
- Flocking – Gary Stevens. Ashford Arts Festival, UK
- Pieces of People – Gary Steven. Henry Moore Foundation, Hertfordshire, UK
- Croydon College. Fine Art Dept, Croydon, UK
- Chenderit School, Visual Arts Centre, Oxon., UK
- Project Row Houses. Houston, Texas, USA
- Wysing Arts, Cambridge, UK
- Project Row House, April, Houston Fotofest, Texas, USA
- Photography Residency LightWorks, April, Syracuse, USA
- Associate Researcher CUCR at Goldsmiths, University of London.
- visiting Lecturer in Photography London South Bank University. BA Digital Photography part-time
- Photography Lecturer 0.5, BA Hons Photographic Art, University of Wales, Newport
Talks and Presentations:
- Goldsmith Uni Sociology. Phd Students.
- Richmond University short course – Books, Tutorials & assessment.
- CUCR Urban Edge Crystal Palace walk and Review of Photographic work
- Land2 Research group symposium. Leeds University
- Cheltenham Uni. Artist Talk. & tutorials
- Screening and artists talk. Leeds University Fine Art:
- Screening Hyde Park Picture House Leeds: Oct
- Screening & Artist talk. Impressions Gallery Bradford
- Exhibition artist symposium. Urban Edges. Goldsmiths
- Screening and talk at the V&A London
- University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield. Lecture and 5 day short course. Digital Narrative.
- Art Teachers Conference. Tate Modern
- CUCR Goldsmiths College. Urban Edge, Artist walk & talk
- Land2 symposium. University of Northampton
- University College Falmouth: lecture & tutorial.
- CUCR Goldsmiths. Urban Encounters. Conference
- Tate Britain 2008 Artist Encounter with the Collection
- Belonging in Britain Symposium. Falmouth University
Arts Council England
Cartwright Hall, Bradford
GNER (Great North Eastern Railway) UK
London South Bank University
National Museum of Film, Photography and Video. Bradford, Yorkshire UK.
National Trust UK.
National Collection – Victoria & Albert Museum. London UK.
Virgin West Coast Rail
Bibliographies – Publications Selected
Ingrid Pollard TradeWinds-LandFall 2008. Catelogue IMP Press 2008 London
Ingrid Pollard Fathers Hands Ed: C. Bressey & Claire Dyer. New Geographies Of Race & Racism. 2009 Hampshire Ashgate Press. pg 41-51
Ingrid Pollard Hidden In A Public Place 2008 London IMP Press
Sarah Neal & Julian Agyeman The New Countryside? 2006 Policy Press. 7-8, 111-113.
Hiroko Hagiwara Black :2, Japan 2002 pg 194 -208,
Deborah Willis Talk Black. Transforming the Crown. Caribbean Cultural Centre, New York 1998 USA: 1:23,28 6:63, 67.
Julian Ageyman & Phil Kinsman: Cultural Diversity. Leicester Uni. Press 1997
Ingrid Pollard. Oceans Apart, Small Axe. Duke University USA 2009 no 28 42-50
Lisa Henry The View from Here. Fotofile. no 45 2004 6-9
Ingrid Pollard Portfolio, Fotofile no 46. 2004 34-39
Ingrid Pollard Surface, June 2005. Plymouth University 60-69
Liz Wells Portfolio, December 1997 No 26. pg 60