Experience of place is important to me, both physically and visually. My aim is to produce an image that has a recognisable sense of place but is not simply topographic in form. Selecting a site to work from usually involves walking long distances to gain an experience of the terrain. Once the site is chosen I work from observation, usually drawing on paper and on a fairly large scale. Drawing is central to the way I work, for me, print making is a natural extension of that activity.
My work is divided between a landscape that is remote, urban or industrial and is connected by the drama and visual impact of place. I am interested in how particular landscapes can invite the eye into a space of infinite scale. Drawing is central to the way I make my work. I see printmaking as an extension of this activity….I see my work fitting some where within a North European romantic landscape tradition – landscape has always played a peculiar role in the British psyche and I find it offers me an ambiguous subject matter.
Portsmouth College of Art
Goldsmiths College of Art BA (Hons) Fine Art
Camberwell School of Art and Crafts Diploma in Art on Paper Conservation
Current and recent Teaching
Part-time Lecturer at Queens Road College of Art and Design and Filton College, Bristol
Lecturer on Foundation course Weymouth
Lecturer Brighton University School of Arts to BA students on the Fine Art Print Award
Elected a member of the Royal West of England Academy (RWA) 2001
Council Member of the Royal Society for Painter-Printmakers
Company Director of Spike Island, Bristol.
- Residency in Beacon Rise School, funded by Arts Express, a Lottery Funded Project.
- Residency in Guadalahaja, Mexico, part funded by the British Council
- Residency in Prague supported by South West Arts through Artspace, Bristol
Selected Awards and Commisions
- Commissioned by the Dorchester Hospital Arts Trust through the Lottery Project for new works relating to the Dorset landscape for the recently built West Dorset Hospital
- Lark Trust Prize at the RWA Open Print Triennaleand
- National Print Exhibition at the Mall Galleries London
- Rothenstein Trophy and Galleries Magazine Publicity Award (also in the National Print Exhibition).
- LAND2 Beyond Landscape? Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, UK
- solo show, Jill George Gallery, London, UK
- Russell Cotes Museum, Bournemouth, UK
- solo show, Michael Tippett Centre in Bath, UK
Other Exhibitions include
Royal Academy Summer Exhibitions, the Jill George Gallery, Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery and the Redfern Gallery, Cork Street. She has also had three shows abroad in Portand, Oregon, Prague and Otranto, Italy, the latter being a solo show.