My research involves the exploration of objects and materials in relation to our natural environment. Exploring geological processes and the uses of raw materials. In the work ‘A Repeated Unrepeatable Journey’ a ploughed field was explored in which I collected Clay, sandstone, limestone, ironstone, marlstone, slate, brick and pieces of terracotta tile. Raw materials that link the fields surface to the lands natural geology but also materials manipulated or brought to the field by man-made processes. The gathering of these materials represented a displacement and a glimpse of a much greater sense of time. The collected materials were then ground to dust and sprinkled to capture at intervals the movement and changes of water on a journey. A series of five journeys were made each captured for the same length of time.
Scale in my work can often be abandoned to the imagination but at the same time there is an immediate presence of the physical material. Knowledge of the area’s geology comes after visiting a place and holding the raw material in my hand. Wondering about its journey before looking at the science behind why it exists in its colour and form in that place and time or in the landscape surrounding me. I try to recreate and capture geological processes in order to hold it still for a moment on paper, canvas or directly onto a surface. Studies are made of a materials change of state from solid to liquid to gas or from three-dimensional to two-dimensional or vice-a-versa.
In a continuous series of ‘Still Life of Movement’ drawings the familiar becomes more unfamiliar by the taking apart and breaking down of objects reducing them to bits and pieces and then materials to show them in stages of disintegration and therefore closer to their source of origin.
- Royal College of Art MA Painting
- West Surrey College of Art and Design BA (Hons) First Class
Selection of Teaching and Related Experiences
- Southwark Community Project, Art Tutor
- Hertfordshire University
- Kent Institute, Ashford, Visiting Artist
- An Tobar Art Gallery, Tobermory, Isle of Mull, ‘The Cross-over of Geology & Art’ workshops
- University of Leeds, School of Design, Visiting Lecturer
- Royal College of Art, Mann Group Drawing Prize Judge.
- Cafe Gallery, Southwark Park, Artist/ Gallery Educator Projects.
- ‘Watch This Space’ Artist/Gallery Educator research organised by Engage.
- Milton Keynes Gallery, School Art Now project and exhibition.
- Art & Archaeology Project, Birbeck College, Cafe Gallery and Dr Salter School.
- Tate Modern, research into Art & Science projects and the permanent collection.
- Cafe Gallery, Southwark Park, London, part of exhibition selection committee and member of Bermondsey Artists Group.
- Royal College of Art Drawing Department, tutor in drawing
- Chisenhale Gallery Artists/ Gallery Educator.
- RCA Curator Course ‘Breathing In Breathing Out’ Project workshops, working with Ron Haselden’s Light Performance with residents at Trellick Tower.
Kunst Brücke Projekt Berlin
‘Promising Young Artist Award’ London Contemporary Art Fair
Studio at Cité Internationale des Arts Paris
Pavement Art Competition Prize, Southwark Festival
- A.R.U.J. (A Ploughed Field), ASC Window Space, London
- ‘A Repeated Unrepeatable Journey’ Redhanded Gallery, London
- ‘Database’ Brixton Market, London
- ‘Art & Archaeology’ The Gallery, Southwark Park & Birbeck College
- ‘Sift’ Clapham Art Gallery, London
- ‘Interstice’ University College London
- ‘Once Removed’ The Cellars Space, Mall Galleries London
- Art Works Space, Barbican London
- ‘One Metre Measured’ (APT) NN Contempoary Arts, Northampton
- ‘One Hour Make’ Fermynwoods Water Tower
- ‘A Place In Time’ Northampton University
- ‘Bessemer’s Journey’ part of ‘Curious’ West Norwood Cemetery
- ‘Close to Home’ Exhibition & Symposium, ESA Leeds
- ‘Elements’ Geology Department, Aberdeen University
- ‘Concretum’ Dilston Grove
- ‘Origin of Colour’ Geology Department, Aberdeen Universaity
- ‘Fieldwork’ (Land2) An Tobar Art Gallery, Tobermory, Isle of Mull
- ‘Rummage’ Cafe Gallery, Southwark Park, Bermondsey
- Land2 Fieldworks Artist Residency, Isle of Mull, Scotland
- ‘Meme’ former Peak Freans Factory, Bermondsey
- Allenheads Contemporary Arts, 10 day exploration of the geology and Mining of the North Pennines.
- ‘Reap’ one year project in Southwark Park & Dilston Grove, Curated by Anne Bean and Artsadmin, technical support from the Mineralogy Department at the Natural History Museum.
- Study of Building and Materials in West Bengal
- ‘Any Minute Every Minute’, Wenlock Basin, London
- BAG Exhibition, The Gallery, Southwark Park
- Area 10, London
- Clapham Art Gallery
- Festival of the Environment, London
- ‘Collection’ Dunwich Beach, Suffolk
- ‘Ark 2000’ Dilston Grove, London
- Clapham Art Gallery, London
- ‘Dunwich’ ASC Brixton
- ‘Fragments’ Elmbridge Museum, Weybridge
- Print Show Cafe Gallery, London
- ‘Bombay Mix‘ Bombay Wharf London
- Kunst Brücke Berlin
- ‘Pitch‘ Trinity Buoy Wharf Docklands London
- Pavement Art Southbank London
- Whitechapel Open Studio London
- ‘Against the Odds‘ Battersea Library London
- ‘Young Artists in Focus’ London Contemporary Art Fair
- International Contemporary Art Fair Olympia London
- C.A.S. Show, Smiths Gallery London
- ‘Interrupted Image‘ Bedford Hill Gallery London
- Sue Rankin Gallery Two Person Show
- International Art Fair Olympia London
- Riverside Open Exhibition London
- Cité Internationale des Arts Paris
- Mario Flecha Gallery London