Andrea is concerned with notions of place, identity and dwelling and examines through painting, photography and video how the everyday allows for philosophical considerations regarding our being in the world. Her interest in the image is linked to the idea of presence and absence, to the relation between figuration and abstraction, as a means to engage with place.
Her art practice involves different visual media to explore relations between still and moving images. In more general terms, her research is concerned with how the juxtaposition of diverse fine art media contributes to a differentiated appreciation of the time-space relation.
D.N.S E P (DIploma National d’Expression Plastique) French Equivalent to MA Fine Art
Lecturer in Art and Design, School of Design, University of Leeds
Thought Dwellings Time and Space in Painting, Photography and Video (PhD Study)
Dialogue in Place II – beyond medium specificity, Exhibition project with Joyce Lyon (University of Minnesota)
European Identities, Touring Group exhibition of European women artists, Exhibitions in Germany, Poland, Spain, Italy.
- Thoma, A., ‘Moving between Images’, The International Journal of the Image 1(1) 2011
- Thoma, A., ‘The Conundrum of Medium specificity’, International Journal of the Arts in Society 4(5):523-534 2009
- Twi_light, Centre for Experimental Theatre, Brno. Exhibition catalogue with essays by Dr. Jiri Havlicek and Andrea Thoma.
- Gardner, D.; Millar, J.; Thoma, A., So near so far, Essay by Dr Iain Biggs, Ebersberg: Kunstverein Ebersberg e.V.
- Thoma, A., Lichtlinien Lines of Light. Berliner Fraueninitiative Xanthippe e.V., Berlin. Essay by Dr Karla Bilang.
- Thoma, A., ‘The making of place to enable memory’, Journal of Visual Art Practice, 5(1+2), pp.83-93, Bristol: Intellect Ltd.
- Gardner, D.; Hauck, A.; Thoma, A. That which is near, Essay by Dominique Lamy. Stuttgart: PRESS relations Schlick.
- Thoma, A.; Zoltners, M. Skylight Stillnight, Halifax: Dean Clough Galleries in association with Northern Illinois University. Essay by Lily Markiewicz.
- Lyon, J.; Thoma, A. Dialogue in Place, Bretton Hall College of the University of Leeds in association with the University of Minnesota. Essays by Dr Iain Biggs and Monika Ochtrup.
- Tiempo y Espacio in differentes medios artísticos, Lectures and Seminars, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia.
- Nozioni di Luogo, Lecture at the Art Academy of Brera, Milan.
- Visiting Artist, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb.
- Visiting Artist, Art Department, University of Minnesota.
Fine Art Practice
My work is informed by the idea of landscape and an interest in the notion of place. My images derive from memories and experiences of the ‘ordinary’. They are perceptions of everyday life, but at the same time offer possibilities of more philosophical considerations. I use painting and photography to investigate the illusionistic potential of an image and the phenomenological aspects of its perception.
Individual / two person
- Dialogue in Place II (provisional title), with Joyce Lyon, Form and Content Gallery, Minneapolis.
- Thought dwellings, Corridor Gallery, University of Leeds.
- Twi_light, Katakomby Gallery, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Provenienzen des Lichts, with Rosika Janko-Glage, Inselgalerie, Berlin.
- Skylight Stillnight, Project with Mara Zoltners, Jack Olson Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, and Dean Clough Galleries, Halifax.
- In the Sky, Otter Gallery, University College Chichester.
- Sky Corridor, Arts Arena GaHenes, Leeds Central Library.
- Dialogue in Place, Katherine Nash Gallery, Minneapolis. USA
- Andrea Thoma, Malerei und Zeichnungen, Zeitgalerie, Pforzheim, Germany.
- Kulturhalle Remchingen. Germany.
- Between Continents, Dannenberg Gallery, New York.
- Sammlung EFAK – neue Schenkungen, Inselgalerie, Berlin.
- European Identities: Intercultural Dialogue, Inselgalerie Berlin, Germany, Textilemuseum Lodz, Poland, Palazzo Ducale, Urbania, Italy.
- All Over The Place: Drawing Place, Drawing Space, University West of England, Bristol and Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery, Leeds.
- So nahe, so fern/ So near so far, APT Gallery, London, and Kunstverein Ebersberg, Germany.
- Individualism, Bretton Hall.
- Five Years, London.
- LAN2D Beyond Landscape? Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, UK