I am an artist and educator who has recently completed a practice-led PhD at the University of Leeds. My research interests include; place, the everyday, the archive, the uncanny and memory. I previously studied painting, drawing and printmaking at the Royal Academy Schools where I won the Vincent Harris Prize in painting, Edna Rose Weiss Prize for figurative painting and the Brinsley Ford travel scholarship.
My practice includes painting, drawing, photography and printmaking, I apply a bricolage of methodologies including fieldwork and archive research to investigate in what ways painting might offer a new understanding of place. Earlier work contrasted inner-city non-places with the rural fringes of suburban areas. My most recent site-specific research used painting as a site of enquiry through which to interrogate the Merrion Shopping Centre, Leeds as a place of history, memory, retail fantasy, the uncanny and lived experience. Building on this research, this study speculated on the potential for painting to become the ‘re-implacement’ (Casey, E. 2002, p.234) of original place.
- Practice-led PhD, University of Leeds.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education, Huddersfield University.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Painting, Drawing and Printmaking, Royal Academy Schools.
- B.A. (Hons) Fine Art, Staffordshire University.
- Foundation in Art and Design, Leeds Arts University.
- Inner Space, Sarah Wiseman Gallery, Oxford
- The Imagined City, The Corn Exchange, Leeds.
- Familiar Unfamiliar, University of Leeds, Foter Gallery [online].
- Little Painting Show, Brunswick Gallery, Leeds.
- Paint North, Lady Beck Project Space Leeds.
- Double Vision, Studio One Gallery London .
- Small World, PS Mirabel, Manchester.
- Painting Now, Studio One Gallery, London.
- Becoming, Studio 24, Leeds.
- Still, Studio 24, Leeds.
- Derwent Drawing Prize, Mall Galleries, London.
- Plinth, Leeds Arts University, Leeds.
- RA Summer Show, Royal Academy of Arts, London.
- Andre Dunoyer de Segonsac Award
- Vincent Harris Prize in Painting Award
- Brinsley Ford Travel Scholarship
- Edna Rose Weiss Prize for Figurative Painting.
- Fine Art Pathway Leader, Foundation in Art and Design, Leeds Arts University.
- External Examiner, International Foundation & Short Courses, Edinburgh University.
- Course Leader, Access to Higher Education in Art and Design, Leeds Arts University.
- P/T Lecturer MA Creative Practice, Leeds Arts University.
- P/T Lecturer BA (Hons) Fine Art, Leeds Arts University.
- P/T Lecturer, Access to Higher Education in Art and Design, Leeds Arts University.
- P/T Lecturer, BA (Hons) Fine Art Part-time course, Leeds Arts University