Andrea is concerned with notions of place, identity and dwelling and examines through painting, photography and video how the everyday allows for philosophical considerations regarding our being in the world. Her interest in the image is linked to the idea of presence and absence, to the relation between figuration and abstraction, as a means to engage with place.
Her art practice involves different visual media to explore relations between still and moving images. In more general terms, her research is concerned with how the juxtaposition of diverse fine art media contributes to a differentiated appreciation of the time-space relation.
1998 D.N.S E P (Diplôme National d’Expression Plastique) French Equivalent to MA Fine Art
2013 PhD, Thesis Title Thought Dwellings: Time and Space in Painting, Photography and Video. University of Leeds.
Lecturer in Art and Design, School of Design, University of Leeds
Visiting Lecturer at various institutions in the UK, USA, Italy and Spain, amongst them University of Nottingham, University of Chester, University of Minnesota, University of Western Illinois, Accademia di Brera, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia.
2017 Research Mobility in Cape Town as part of the EU funded PARTY project involving designers and researchers from Europe, Namibia and South Africa with communities of marginalised youth. PARTY is an coordinated by the University of Lapland in partnership with the University of Leeds (UK), Cape Peninsula University of Technology (South Africa), Namibia University of Science and Technology (Namibia) together with the South Africa San Institute and PACO Design Collaborative (Italy).
Textures of Place, is a collaboration of UK based artists/researchers Deborah Gardner and Andrea Thoma that intends to explore juxtapositions of visual idioms to reflect on the immediacy and distance of place in view of material presence, projection, narrative and abstraction. The artists are also responding to the rich textile history of Lodz and Leeds.– with support of the Centre for Practice-led Research in the Arts and the School of Design, University of Leeds.
Thought Dwellings Time and Space in Painting, Photography and Video (PhD Study)
Dialogue in Place II – beyond medium specificity, Exhibition project with Joyce Lyon (University of Minnesota)
European Identities, Touring Group exhibition of European women artists, Exhibitions in Germany, Poland, Spain, Italy.
- Thoma, A. (2020) Imaginary Landscapes, Artist’s Book, Wild Pansy Press, Leeds.
- Thoma A. (2020) Vertigo of presence: Chantal Akerman’s NOW, nomadic dwelling and the ‘war machine’ within the context of contemporary moving image works. Journal of Visual Art Practice.19(2), pp. 179-201. http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/151215/
- Thoma, A. (2019) In-between Images: Where is the Ground?, Acta Universitatis Sapientiae, Film and Media Studies, Vol. 17 Issue 1
- Thoma, A., Blau – longing and the repetitions of (Deleuzian) becoming, The International Journal of the Image, Volume 8, Issue 1, 2016
- Lyon, J., Thoma, A., Shifting Perspectives: Dialogue in Place Volume III, Essay by Iain Biggs, Bowker. ISBN 978-0-692-80083-6
- Thoma, A., Artist’s Book “Blau”, published by the Wild Pansy Press, School of Fine Art, History of Art & Cultural Studies, University of Leeds.
- Thoma, A., Thoma, A., Discussing the Relationship between Sound and Image: The Scope of Audio/Visual Strategies in a Contemporary Art Context, International Journal of New Media, Technology, and the Arts. VOLUME 10 ISSUE 3.
- Thoma, A., The (Everyday) Image as One of Many: What Happens in the Interstice?, The International Journal of the Image, 5.
- Thoma, A., The (Woven) Lining: Invisibility and Visibility in a Visual and Textual Exploration of the Cinematic in Art, Art South Africa 11.2: 46-47.
- Thoma, A., ‘Moving between Images’, The International Journal of the Image 1(1) 2011
- Thoma, A., ‘The Conundrum of Medium specificity’, International Journal of the Arts in Society 4(5):523-534 2009
- Twi_light, Centre for Experimental Theatre, Brno. Exhibition catalogue with essays by Dr. Jiri Havlicek and Andrea Thoma.
- Gardner, D.; Millar, J.; Thoma, A., So near so far, Essay by Dr Iain Biggs, Ebersberg: Kunstverein Ebersberg e.V.
- Thoma, A., Lichtlinien Lines of Light. Berliner Fraueninitiative Xanthippe e.V., Berlin. Essay by Dr Karla Bilang.
- Thoma, A., ‘The making of place to enable memory’, Journal of Visual Art Practice, 5(1+2), pp.83-93, Bristol: Intellect Ltd.
- Gardner, D.; Hauck, A.; Thoma, A. That which is near, Essay by Dominique Lamy. Stuttgart: PRESS relations Schlick.
- Thoma, A.; Zoltners, M. Skylight Stillnight, Halifax: Dean Clough Galleries in association with Northern Illinois University. Essay by Lily Markiewicz.
- Lyon, J.; Thoma, A. Dialogue in Place, Bretton Hall College of the University of Leeds in association with the University of Minnesota. Essays by Dr Iain Biggs and Monika Ochtrup.
- ‘Award of international excellence’ for journal article “The (Everyday) Image as One of Many: What Happens in the Interstice?” The International Journal of the Image, Volume 5.
Conference Papers (selection, recent)
- “Folded colour space, movement and queries about the ground in the post-digital era”, Land2 Members’ and Associates’ Day, February 2020.
- “In-Between Images: Where is the Ground?” at Intermediality Now: Remapping In-betweenness Conference, Sapientia University, Cluj-Napoca.
- “The Video Camera as Abstract Machine” at the Eighth International Conference on the Image at Venice International University.
- Textures of place in context: from the far side of the moon to the immediacy of folded colour-space, Conference paper with Deborah Gardner, Asle and Land2 exhibition and conference, Sheffield.
- Vertigo of Presence: Chantal Akerman’s Now, Nomadic Dwelling and the ‘War Machine, International Conference ‘After Chantal’ at the Centre of Research and Education for Arts and Media (CREAM), University of Westminster.
- “Blau – longing and the repetitions of (Deleuzian) becoming”, Sixth International Conference on the Image, Berkeley University.
- Where is the viewer in the impetus of becoming? A response to Jane Bennett’s ‘Vibrant Matter’, University of Dundee. http://placeinternational.org/thomapod15.htm Podcast of conference paper.
- Ocean: A study of multiplicity. Symposium, British Waters and Beyond: The cultural significance of the sea since 1800, RWA, Bristol.
- Visiting Artist, Art Department, University of Minnesota.
- Tiempo y Espacio in differentes medios artísticos, Lectures and Seminars, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia.
- Nozioni di Luogo, Lecture at the Art Academy of Brera, Milan.
- Visiting Artist, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb.
- Visiting Artist, Art Department, University of Minnesota.
Fine Art Practice
My practice is informed by the idea of landscape and an interest in the notion of place. Movement (or its absence) is a key element, so is the idea of montage where diverse image-components or panels are juxtaposed within a visual method or across different media.
Individual / two person
- Textures of Place II, with Deborah Gardner, Inselgalerie, Berlin
- Textures of Place, with Deborah Gardner, Academy of Fine Arts, Lodz, Poland.
- Shifting Perspectives, with Joyce Lyon, Foyer Gallery, University of Leeds, Artists’ Book.
- Thought Dwellings: In Situ, Lifton Place, Leeds.
- Dialogue in Place II (provisional title), with Joyce Lyon, Form and Content Gallery, Minneapolis.
- Thought dwellings, Corridor Gallery, University of Leeds.
- Twi_light, Katakomby Gallery, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Provenienzen des Lichts, with Rosika Janko-Glage, Inselgalerie, Berlin.
- Skylight Stillnight, Project with Mara Zoltners, Jack Olson Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, and Dean Clough Galleries, Halifax.
- In the Sky, Otter Gallery, University College Chichester.
- Sky Corridor, Arts Arena GaHenes, Leeds Central Library.
- Dialogue in Place, Katherine Nash Gallery, Minneapolis. USA
- Andrea Thoma, Malerei und Zeichnungen, Zeitgalerie, Pforzheim, Germany.
- Kulturhalle Remchingen. Germany.
- Between Continents, Dannenberg Gallery, New York.
- What comes after, 601 Artspace, NY. Drawing Dialogue III, curated by Gabriela Boiangiu, Keighly Creative Gallery,
- Larroque Arts Festival, France.
- Drawing Dialogue 2, Kulturzentrum Katerini, Greece. 2018 Les anciens étudiants de l’école des Beaux Arts de Perpignan s’exposent, Le Boulou, France.
- Paint North, Ladybeck Space, Leeds.
- Collaborative Project Of Plants and Planets, ‘In the Open exhibition’, Sheffield.
- Endlosschleife 2041, Württembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart, Germany.
- Curious, West Norwood Cemetery, London.
- Close to Home, ESA Project Space, Leeds.
- Sammlung EFAK – neue Schenkungen, Inselgalerie, Berlin.
- European Identities: Intercultural Dialogue, Inselgalerie Berlin, Germany, Textilemuseum Lodz, Poland, Palazzo Ducale, Urbania, Italy.
- All Over The Place: Drawing Place, Drawing Space, University West of England, Bristol and Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery, Leeds.
- So nahe, so fern/ So near so far, APT Gallery, London, and Kunstverein Ebersberg, Germany.
- Individualism, Bretton Hall.
- Five Years, London.
- LAN2D Beyond Landscape? Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, UK